Sermon Outline - The Syro Phenician Woman, Matthew ch.15 vv.21-28
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||The Syro Phenician Woman|
|Text||Matthew ch.15 vv.21-28 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- A unique journey by Christ. Why?
- One of His sheep was there.
- He finds all His sheep - all so different.
OBSERVE: It is a very interesting event.
GOD SENDS TROUBLE INTO OUR LIFE TO DRIVE US TO CHRIST
* A very sensitive affliction: her daughter vexed by the devil.
Explain: demon-possession - but other forms are very common in our day (exx.)
- This misery sent as a blessing to this woman. Blessings are sometimes in disguise. APPLICATION: Can you believe that for yourself?
- This is God's way: to drive us out of our complacency and easy attitude to Him.
Aug: "I had been undone..."
ILLUSTRATION: The sad case of worldly men - they never have "changed". Explain.
- The elect are interrupted in life
ILLUSTRATION: Brownlow North - felt very ill.
These sudden events shake them out of their ease - like a dog barking to drive us away from our dangerous state in sin and condemnation.
- It is possible to misuse our troubles.
Never say, "Why me?"
Say, "What is God saying by this?"
APPLICATION: Miseries are often sent to do us good. See this woman here.
CHRIST DOES NOT ALWAYS HEAR OUR PRAYER IMMEDIATELY
* v.23 : "not a word." She was being placed on trial - not refused but tried by Him.
- Why should Christ so deal with us?
- A test of our sincerity. "Fait-weather"
- A test of our faith. So she got praise.
- A test of our election. Others turn away.
APPLICATION: Have you really given up seeking?
- God will have us learn re prayer:
- He is Lord of all circumstances
- He is gracious., but never our servant.
- It is good for us to suffer delays.
ILLUSTRATION: It intensifies her prayers (v.25)
- There is a "set time" for prayers to be answered.
APPLICATION: Perhaps you need reminding of this.
- "Hope deferred"
- is hard to bear, as Scripture says
- but it is "a tree of life" at last
- how sweet when delays are over!
THIS WOMAN TEACHES US HOW TO COME TO CHRIST SO AS TO GET HIS BLESSING
*Notice how she approaches the Lord. She got her prayer answered. She is an example:
- She sought it with all her heart
- Some are half-hearted/double-minded (Explain).
- "Nothing matters to me like this".
- Think how precious God's grace is!
APPLICATION: Half-hearted seekers never find.
- She was not discouraged by delay
- Delay is hard to bear when we are desperate.
- Illustration: Augustine: "Why not TODAY?"
- God has a time for blessing us.
APPLICATION: Have you felt God's delays?
- She was not put off by hard doctrine
- The priority of the Jews - they "children"/we "dogs"
- Election, etc. puts some off the Gospel
- But real seekers press on to get Christ
APPLICATION: Take God's blessing on His terms, not yours.
- She had a humble attitude to herself
- Her striking reply: "I am no better than a dog".
- She abased herself: this is rare - this is difficult - this is contrary to our heart.
- She "conquered" Christ by humility.
APPLICATION: The only way to "master" Christ is to put yourself low in submission.
Illustration: The TIDAL WAVE
- She got the blessing she sought
- She got Satan cast out
- Satan needs to be cast out of our young people today.
Download This Sermon Outline
This sermon outline can be downloaded in HTML format so that it can be viewed off-line using an internet browser, and many other programs. (As you can read this page, you can view HTML format files on this computer.)
Download this sermon now - to download please right click and select "save target as" or "save link target as". Please note: It is strongly advised that you use this link to download a sermon, rather than simply saving the current page.