Bible Sermons Online
Sermon Outline - Wells of Salvation, Isaiah ch.12 v.3
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||Wells of Salvation|
|Text||Isaiah ch.12 v.3 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
The song of the saved man - "new song" (Psalm 40; Revelation 5:9). The best way to start a New Year!
THE WELLS OF SALVATION
- The "wells" refer to Christ: Calvin: "That fountain is Christ in whom all God's benefits are imparted to us.
- Christ possesses every sort of fullness for sinners:-
- of grace: John 1: prevenient/
- of knowledge: Colossians 1: 'treasures' = THESAURUS of
DIVINE KNOWLEDGE re. (1) God (2) ourselves (Institutes of
- of godhead: Colossians 2: the God-Man Redeemer.
- of glory: "But we all...glory" TILL HEAVEN.
- Three graces from this well
APPLICATION: Have you drunk from this well?
- Reference to the life - "in him was life"(spiritual LIFE)
Christ imparts to the soul. It is one thing to sit by a well and another to drink.
APPLICATION: Some sit by the well all their life. They remind you of the man at pool of Bethesda (John 5:2)
- Christ himself reference to this life:
ILLUSTRATION: John 4 - "never thirst again" - 'let him come...drink'(John 7).
- None but born-again souls know this and:
- They bring a thirsty spirit to the means of grace:
Psalm 42/"Blessed are they..."/"Lord, thee, my God..." "Thou
hast made us...".
- Others come with different notions: Luke 7. These YEARN
MUCH LOVE TO CHRIST & HIS PEOPLE.
- Get a sweetness: "E'en as with marrow...fat".
ILLUSTRATION: "Sat under his shadow..." (2 Timothy, "The
Lord stood with me").
- This LIFE communicates out of Christ into the believer heard by the
Direct action of the Spirit:
- "He shall take of mine and show it..."
RIGHTEOUSNESS IS IMPUTED (in Justification) but:
- This imparted LIFE fully satisfies the believer + nothing else
does: Billy Bray ("Glory!")
APPLICATION: Whisky = "water of life" in Gaelic! No!
"water of death". Here is the life!
OBSERVE: Today: many have stopped the wells.
(Illustration: PHILISTINES): Liberalism,
Barthianism. Dig the wells again!
OBSERVE: Digging in broken cisterns = TV/Pop/Disco/Public
- The JOY
- No joy but the joy of salvation.
ILLUSTRATION: The wall-unit/the later
complaint by husband that they never got tired of
talking about Christ as Saviour.
- There should be EMOTION in our services. Not
(Cf. "Toronto Blessing" - Cessationist).
- Christ in INNER MAN: Ephesians 3: EMOTION!
- Filled with THE SPIRIT: Mary/Zacharias = JOY.
- Lifts above outward circumstances: PAUL in STOCKS.
- TEXTS: "Love...shed..." (outpoured... from well); joy
unspeakable"..."peace that passeth" (= supernatural in
- DOCTRINE: Means of grace and a way to get Christ into our
soul// water for well.
Q. WHY NOT SPEND 1/2 HR on KNEES TOMORROW?
- If you want this blessing - repair your bucket!
the leaks (1) be reconciled to every brother:
Matthew 5 - "leave your gift..." (2) your bad habits
- Various "WELLS" - all full of grace:
- prayer = to prime the pump to receive the blessings
ILLUSTRATION: "in everything" (Welsh)
- preaching = FOOD for the MIND and soul
ILLUSTRATION: J. KNOX - "trumpets blustering..."
- sacraments: an eating of Christ by faith:
John 6: "He that eateth..." "Except ye eat..."
- Expect a blessing: "OPEN THY MOUTH..."(Ps 81)
"According to your faith". Carey: "Attempt..Expend"
There is grace enough in this well to solve all your
What is this bucket?
It is FAITH in CHRIST.
This sermon outline has been downloaded from http://www.bible-sermons.org.uk