Bible Sermons Online
Sermon Outline - Behold a Throne, Revelation ch.4 v.2
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||Behold a Throne|
|Text||Revelation ch.4 v.2 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- This is a vision of heaven above
- John sees a door opened
- We need this vision in our day.
WE SEE THE PLACE WHICH GOD HAS
- God has a throne: "King of Kings"
OBSERVE: How blind men are who do not know this!
See the foolish ideas of Atheists, etc.
- The throne is at the centre
Because God is "over all and blessed forever" - "of him, and through him and to him are all things" - "to him be glory forever".
APPLICATION: Think of God always in this way.
THE DESCRIPTION WE HAVE OF GOD
- v.2: God is seated (Psalm 2) in majesty.
OBSERVE: God is never afraid, alarmed, disturbed.
- v.3: ("jasper; sardine"): The attributes of God - Explain.
- v.3: "rainbow - emerald": the Covenant of Grace (// Noah's day) - the refreshing sense of His love and favour.
APPLICATION: This God is on our side always if we are believers.
THE COURTIERS AROUND GOD IN HEAVEN
- v.4: twenty-four elders
- v.6-8: four "living being"
OBSERVE: "Beasts" here = "living beings". These are surely the Cherubim.
- The reverence they show to God.
APPLICATION: True religion is always reverential.
THE BOOK IN THE HAND OF GOD: 5:1
- The writing = the plan for the world.
- The scales = the unfolding of this plan.
OBSERVE: The eternal plan of God was made before time began - it is perfect and sure.
- No mere man or angel is sufficient to oversee this plan - but Christ is.
THE GLORIOUS MEDIATOR: 5:6f
- A Lamb - His finished work
- "Horns" and "eyes" = His powers and agencies
- Christ's taking of the Book.
OBSERVE: He now reigns with God and is guiding all events for His people's good and to the glory of God.
THE JOY AND ECSTASY OF THE REDEEMED: 5:8f
- The joy is because He is King
- The heavenly host worships Christ in words of jubilation (v.9-10, 12).
OBSERVE: This joy should be in our lives.
- The redeemed are out of every nation: v.9
- The heavenly host is very great.
APPLICATION: Never imagine the cause of Christ is feeble! There is no "post-Christian age".
All this is to strengthen us to live courageously for Christ. What a THRONE!
This sermon outline has been downloaded from http://www.bible-sermons.org.uk