Sermon Outline - The Faith of Noah, Hebrews ch.11 v.7
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||The Faith of Noah|
|Text||Hebrews ch.11 v.7|
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- The Flood - often spoken of in Bible.
- It is an event full of lessons.
- This we see in our TEXT.
WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT FAITH IS
- There is false faith: e.g. 'bird man'/'walk on water'/'cursing the cancer'.
- True faith is a believing of God's Word: -
- faith must rest on a revelation from God.
- See this in Noah's case: Genesis 6:13-14 ("Warned").
- So faith is not fanaticism, though unseen.
OBSERVE: Hence this text: Hebrews 11:7: "built".
APPLICATION: Has God not spoken to us also?
TO LIVE BY FAITH IS NO EASY THING
- Faith puts people to work hard - as Noah here.
- Faith sets us against the ways of the world - "condemned the world".
- His life condemned the unbelieving.
- He was disliked/criticised/resented.
- It was a long time - 120 years!
OBSERVE: Those who live by faith go through pain.
APPLICATION: Are you tempted to give it all up?
TO LIVE BY FAITH IS A BLESSING TO OTHERS
- It might be said he was a failure (Explain).
- But no! "he saved his house".
- Did they all have faith? (See Genesis 9).
- We care for our family when se have faith.
OBSERVE: Is it not a great thing to have hope of seeing our children in heaven?
APPLICATION: Do you look at it like this?
FAITH MOVES US WITH "FEAR"
- That sounds strange. Explain.
- Godly fear: (i) of going wrong
Illustration: Noah must measure the size carefully, etc. So, a minister must keep to the Word. "He that is faithful...", said Christ.
- Also: (ii) of being too late.
Illustration: Bede translating the Gospel.
APPLICATION: Don't over-relax - keep this "fear".
FAITH GETS US TO GLORY AND TO HEAVEN
- "heir of the righteousness..." Not just that he was a good man, but he got to glory in the end.
- If any doubts it, see: v.10, 14-16, 26. All these saints got to heaven.
- This needs clarification: see v. 39-40.
So, we too are brought into the picture!
- There is a clear pattern here in every saint's life:
faith - a life of toil - rest at last.
OBSERVE: This is what Noah chose.
- Is this what you choose?
- Illustration: Patience and Passion.
- Consult you own conscience.
Download This Sermon Outline
This sermon outline can be downloaded in HTML format so that it can be viewed off-line using an internet browser, and many other programs. (As you can read this page, you can view HTML format files on this computer.)
Download this sermon now - to download please right click and select "save target as" or "save link target as". Please note: It is strongly advised that you use this link to download a sermon, rather than simply saving the current page.